Sunday, May 4, 2008

5 Mile

You know its not going to be your best day when you show up to a race and realize that you forgot your socks... and only brought one arm warmer.

Gave the 5 mile pass race a try for the first time yesterday- ouch, thats a tough one. 1st lap I was feeling ok riding in 2nd for a while chasing down Dave Welsh. Bart came up to me and took over the chase. We caught up to Dave and then all hell broke loose for me. I misjudged the steepness of a little hill and had it in the wrong gear and those guys got a gap. Then I took a wrong turn and lost about 10 more seconds. Shortly after I got a side-ache and skipped a few gears on a climb. That blew me psychologically and I started getting discouraged. I managed to get back in to sort of a groove but couldn't kick my side cramp and could barely drink anything for the 1st 2 laps. I kept thinking- shoot, I am going to pay for this at the end! I did too on the 4th lap. I was probably just under a minute behind Dave (Bart was long gone) and gave it some gas to try to close the gap. I cramped up pretty good and with 10 miles to go I had to back it off and limp home. I managed to hold on to 3rd though. Bart came off his death bed and worked us over!

Off to Boise tomorrow morning until Thursday. Can't wait for Motel 6!

No comments: