Thursday, April 24, 2008

windy rim

My parents were in town for a few days last weekend seeking refuge from the long Vermont winter and looking for a little sun. With crappy weather in the forecast up here we packed up my truck Saturday morning and headed for the desert. I had convinced them to rent a jeep and drive the White Rim while Tim and I rode it. I was having second thoughts on Thursday and Friday though, as both Tim and I had apparently picked up the same cold at the RJD2 show a few days before and there were some pretty high winds forecast. All the pieces were in place though so we went for it and Tim met us in Moab from Coors Town, USA (Golden CO.)

It was pretty windy when we arrived Saturday afternoon and we were a little worried. "Can't be any worse than Brian Head in the mud a few years ago." we said. "Can't be worse than the E100 with tendonitis." Tim said. Well, it wasn't but it was pretty bad! We rode the whole thing from the top of mineral bottom road counter clockwise and had 20-30 mph sustained headwinds all the way south (with way higher gusts) and then on the way back the wind swirled around the canyons and messed with us. It felt like we had about 15 miles of tailwind out of 105. We made it though, 7 am to 7pm. Climbing Shafer with sand blowing in our faces just added insult to injury!

My parents had a great time though and loved it. My dad rallied the rental jeep. I've just been laying low and working since. Here are lots of pics in no particular order

The love...


the hate...



no comment



the parental units


lunch!



Ned in the jeep




if it looks like we are leaning thats because of the wind




soaking up some rays


check out the coat my dad found at the DI




1 comment:

primetime formerly known as slyfox said...

thats a pretty sweet picture blog. keep it up