Monday, November 3, 2008

I need a new wheel setup

I need to figure out a new wheel/tire setup for my cross bike... not only are my wheels tanks but I am still running tubes.



I've never done that before! After two fats yesterday I see why people shy away from tubes on their cross bikes. I was even running slime tubes, which don't help with pinch flats apparentlty. I rimmed out hard on the 2nd lap and my front tire started a slow death and was flat by 2 or 3 laps to go. I eventually borrowed a wheel and rode a while until my rear went flat. Then I got in a nice jog in the rain and even got to finish the race on Bob's bike. His bike felt good- nice setup Bob, disk brakes worked well in the mud. At least I had some better luck Saturday and ended up 2nd. Fun stuff though- that was a mud bath!

3 comments:

Dave and Alisha said...

If you don't want to spend the $ for tubulars, try a standard wheel with 2 layers of electrical tape, a cup and a half of stans, and some hutchinson tubeless ready cx tires like the bulldog. That's my ghetto system but it's worked so far. Nice job this weekend by the way. When courses get rough you tear it up!

Jared said...

Nice ride yesterday. I wished I could have hung with you when you bridged to Rico.

I second the Hutchinson CX Bulldog. It's worked well for me -- no burps and can run at 30 psi. You have to have a tight fit on the rim though. I bounced of the rim several times yesterday without consequence.

ag said...

thanks guys- much appreciated. that sounds like a reasonable option seeing as i don't really want to spend a lot on bike stuff at this point in the year so maybe i'll give that a shot.