Sunday, March 2, 2008

Oh yeah...

Every year it seems like I forget how hard bike racing is. Then the first race comes around and find myself saying oh yeah, this takes a little work. Its funny because it seems like every year I make the same mistakes for the first one of the season- 1 I don't train hard and 2 I blow it nutritionally. This year I have kept in pretty good shape- riding a little down south, renting xc skis from rei a few times, shredding pow at the bird and ski touring a little. Not much in the way of intensity though. I also seem to forget what works for me nutritionally and I end up eating too much too close to the start. Put those together and you have a nice recipe for suffering. At least it wasn't as bad as last year when I DNF'd then barfed my first race out.

Top 10 thoughts going through my head during the race:

10. Shit we are going way too fast for March 1

9. Oh man- my stomach...

8. Man what's going on- I worked Sammi over pretty good when we were down here last month. I thought I was going good...

7. Did I really need oj, a banana, cereal, a bagel, a swedish pancake with strawberries, and 2 cups of coffee this morning? Or thirds on apsaragus and salad last night for that matter?

6. Why doesn't my back hurt? (must be the new Rocky Mtn Element)

5. This bike is sweet.

4. This sucks.

3. I suck.

2. I paid money to feel like this?

1. I can't wait for next time.

I actually think I would have been up there a little more if my stomach didn't go south. Every time I tried to go hard I felt like I was going to barf. I couldn't drink or eat any Gu's which caught up to me at the end. Oh well, good to get that one out of the way. Usually I am thinking about my first ride of the season this time of year...

Props to Bart who killed it- nice work man!

1 comment:

bill hoge said...

at least you still look sexy. hows that new ride? looks pretty sweet.